I have been diagnosed with walking pneumonia. Are there any remedies that will assist my body in fighting this infection?
Walking pneumonia is a term used to describe mycoplasmal pnuemonia a type of pneumonia caused by mycoplasms which causes infection of the lungs. Mycoplasms are a type of bacteria which has no cell wall and anti-biotics are therefore of no assistance (as they work by targeting the cell walls). The most common symptom of walking pneumonia is a dry cough which comes in violent attacks which is unproductive (only sparse amounts of whitish mucus may be expelled).
Pneumonia is often a complication of a pre-existing condition or infection. Pneumonia is triggered when an individual's defence system is weakened, most often by a simple viral upper respiratory tract infection or a case of influenza.
Diet tips for pneumonia
- Herbal teas such as rosehip and fenugreek, echinacea, olive leaf, ginger, lemon, manuka honey are beneficial to support immunity and reduce mucus production
- Water is the best way to flush the kidneys of any metabolic wastes produced during infections. Ensure that you are adequately hydrated as dehydration causes the cells to shrink and be less nourished
- Eat plenty of foods which will help reduce acid and alkalise the blood
- Include in your diet - lemons and lemon juice, miso soup, vegetable juices, plenty of ginger, garlic, onions, turmeric and chilli, soups and broths, barley grass, brown rice, decrease dairy (dairy foods contribute to phlegm production)
- Reduce coffee, tea, alcohol, sugar (sugar decreases immunity), processed and preserved foods
- Drink plenty of warm fresh lemon and ginger drinks to keep the warmth in the body and reduce inflammation
Lifestyle factors for pneumonia
- Keep warm and rest so you can fully recover
- Antibiotics destroy all good and bad bacteria in the body and without reintroduction of the good species of flora your immunity and digestive function may be compromised
- Sit in the warm sunshine for 10 minutes a day as the skin absorbs Vitamin D from sunlight and this acts on the immune system and improves health and vitality
Natural remedies for pneumonia
- The herbs Olive leaf, Golden Seal, Echinacea, Elder, Mullein and Andrographis will help to rebuild a depressed immunity by providing the body with much needed anti-oxidants and also act as trophorestoratives to the immune system as well as anti-inflammatory, decongestant and immune stimulating effects
- Probiotics are especially important if you have recently taken a course antibiotics to help restore good bowel flora and help the immune system to recover
- Colloidal silver, is a highly effective way to increase immunity due to its many immune stimulating actions
- Zinc is an important nutrient for the immune system and after illness strikes it is beneficial to improve your zinc status which will be diminished due to inflammation and infections