I had my tonsils removed when I was 16 due to recurrent tonsil infections. I also have allergies which resulted in sinus infections, could these two conditions be linked?The tonsils are a gland consisting of lymphoid tissue, when they become inflammed or congested they act as alarm bells warning you against some immune weakness and lymphatic congestion (waste material). Generally tonsilitis is caused by a virus or bacteria which attacks the back of the throat and produces bacteria which exacerbates the problem. A history of reoccuring tonsilitis requires addressing of the underlying immune, liver and lymphatic weakness.
Tonsils and sinus infections
There is a close interaction between sinusitis and tonsillitis. Hypersensitivity of the immune system as is the case with chronic sinusitis will definitely cause further congestion and inflammation of the throat area, lymph nodes and also tonsils.
There are not too many long term health complications once your tonsils have been removed except for the fact that you no longer have a monitoring system to alert you when you are perhaps decreasing in health. Also the chances for reoccuring throat infections can lead to glandular fever and other immune system weakness. Please remember that removal of your tonsils will not cancel out your underlying sluggish immunity and lymphatic system.
Diet tips for immunity
- Reduce dairy and sugar in your diet, this will lighten the load on the liver and lymphatic system and also reduce acidity in the body and these are two common allergens
- Ensure that you are well hydrated (at least two litres/ day) to help flush the kidneys and lymphatic system of wastes
- Herbal teas such as fenugreek and rosehip, ginger, chamomile, peppermint, elderflowers, licorice may help to decrease allergies also
- Alkalising diet
Lifestyle factors for immunity
- Use a neti pot using warm salty water to help clear the nasal passages and remove foreign particles (allergens) from the area to reduce congestion
- Ensure you get enough rest
- In Naturopathic medicine it is always important to detoxify the liver and cleanse the blood in individuals with chronic sinusitis and a history of tonsilitis. This helps the immune system to be less sensitive and able to cope with foreign particles (allergens) better as well as cleansing the blood and lymphatic system of excess wastes
- Address nutritional deficiencies
Natural remedies for immunity
- Zinc, Vitamin C and bioflavinoids (hesperidan) as these may help to reduce inflammation and improve immunity
- Immune supporting herbs may also be of assistance to you at present to help rebuild immunity after long term illness, especially if you are currently experiencing an exacerbation of symptoms. Herbs to improve immunity are Echinacea, Olive leaf, Elderberry