I just had key hole surgery and just recovering at the moment. Any suggestions for improving healing?
An effective remedy to take pre and/or post surgery is Homeopathic Arnica 6x which is available from health food stores from the brand Boiron Homeopathics. Arnica is a herb commonly used before and after surgery due to its anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties. Arnica is known to decrease swelling, bruising and blood stagnation. It is best to take this remedy for at least 2 weeks after any surgical procedures.
Diet tips after surgery
Diet and food are an important way to increase immunity, healing and recovery. Be sure to eat plenty of foods rich in anti-oxidants such as Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Zinc.
These nutrients promote healing, reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of infections:
- Follow a gentle cleansing diet and increase foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables
- Lemon juice in warm water
- Vegetable juices
- Miso soup and vegetable and barley soup
- Green barley powder
- Brown rice
- Nuts and seeds including nut pastes (macadamia butter, cashew butter or tahini)
- Olive oil, flaxseed oil, oysters, red meat, fish and grains
- Plenty of vitality lifting water
- Eliminate waste producing foods such as dairy, wheat, alcohol, sugar, preserved, refined and processed foods
Lifestyle factors post surgery
- It is very important to take care of your health, especially the liver and immune system after surgery as the shock, trauma and medications place a burden on these functions.
- Rest and relaxation is important for the body to release stress and promote healing. If you are able to take time out you will find that your immunity will not only increase but any health complications which may occur post surgery, such as infection will be minimised. The body will have a better chance to recover when we give it sufficient amounts of time to sleep, rest and heal
- Address liver function as anaesthetics will cause a decrease in liver function and bowel health
Emotional support in healing:If you feel a little emotionally sensitive after surgery, which is quite common, you may find some subtle support from taking a vibrational Bush Flower Essence Remedy such as the Emergency Essence or Womens Essence. Bush Flower Essences help to gently heal emotional trauma and ease its effect on the body. The following is a link to the Australian Bush Flower Essences website where you can read more about remedies and choose one that appeals to you: www.ausflowers.com.au
Natural remedies for post surgery wound healing:
- Arnica cream to help the wound to heal
- Rosa's Scarless Healer
- Manuka Honey
- Aqueous based creams containing Vitamin E, Vitamin A plus herbs such as Calendula, Golden Seal, Lavender or Rose hip oil
- Gently massaging a cream (at least 4 times/ day) onto the small wounds will reduce any chances of the area becoming infected or scarring
- The mineral Zinc is important for wound healing and may also help your immunity to build after anaesthetics
- Probiotics are important especially if you have had anaesthetics or antibiotic therapy as they help to rebuild the natural healthy bacteria of the immune system and gut
For further information see the Ask a Naturopath.com webpage concerning liver support and detoxification