Mucus congestion in children
My 3 year old suffers from recurring tonsillitis at the end of a cold. What can I do to reduce this?
Immune system weaknesses
Addressing underlying immune system weaknesses may result in improving your daughters overall health and wellbeing in the long term. Asthma and tonsilitis are conditions which need to be properly addressed in order to reduce the symptoms of congestion and reocurring inflammation of the respiratory tract which contribute to worsening of her symptoms.
Diet tips for congestion
- Reduce mucus producing foods such as dairy, nuts, wheat and sugar
- Increase Magnesium rich foods in her diet such as green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds
- Children benefit and respond very well to simple changes in diet
- Increase alkalising foods in their diet such as water, rice, grains, nuts and seeds, plenty of fruits and vegetables, miso soup, green barley powder to reduce inflammation
Lifestyle factors for congestion
- Children with mucus congestion may make it difficult for her to breath calmly which often results in a restless sleep or an unrefreshed sleep
- If children are congested at night you could consider putting a vapouriser in her room and add some Essential oils to it such as Eucalyptus, lavender and cedarwood oil or the Oil Garden makes an oil called Breathe Easier which is fabulous
- Allergy testing is important to help determine the cause of the congestion
- Address underlying immune sensitivity
Natural remedies to reduce congestion
- Cod liver oil capsules are high in Vitamins A & D which help the mucus membranes to be less hyper-sensitive and also reduce inflammation
- Low Magnesium levels are directly linked to asthma problems in children, this is because Magnesium encourages the smooth muscle of the airways to relax and is also an anti-inflammatory. A deficiency in Magnesium may result in the airways constricting and consequently causing shallow and ineffective breathing
- Vitamin C and Bioflavinoids are important to reduce congestion and promote healthy immunity and respiratory function
- Ensure that they have a healthy level of digestive bacteria such as Acidophilus Bifidus.
- A Naturopath may give some herbs which may help to reduce any allergic responses, such as Baical Skullcap, Licorice, Albizzia, Bupleurum, Coleus. Plus additional herbs to help support immunity and reduce congestion such as Acerola, Elderflowers, Grindelia, Elecampagne, Licorice, Mullein, Marshmallow, Sage, Thyme and Coltsfoot