Chia seeds and weight loss
Can you loose weight with Chia seeds?
Chia seeds can be beneficial to support healthy weight loss when included in the diet for a few reasons:
- Increase in energy production and reduced fatigue which may help individuals to maintain an exercise regime
- The seeds have the ability to absorb up to 10 times their weight in water due to them being an insoluble fibre. This has a beneficial effect on bowel function as well as decreasing the need for large meals, this means that the seeds swell in the stomach and decrease hunger resulting in feeling full longer
- Chia seeds contain a balance of fatty acids (Omega 3) and fibre and are abundant in protein to help build muscle and burn fat
- Low in calories and the process of the seeds swelling/ expansion helps to decrease the absorption of carbohydrates from foods while balancing blood sugars, this means that the craving for sugars will decrease
- The insoluble fibre contained in the seeds helps to sweep clean the bowels which has an effect on liver and bowel function. Healthy liver function plays a role in improving weight loss also
The combined actions of the seeds can certainly assist weight loss when combined with a healthy weight loss exercise regime and eating plan. It is important to realise that weight gain can be due too a number of different causes and only the personal assistance of a health care professional will ensure that all aspects of your individual condition is taken into account to provide a well researched treatment plan.